|Date Posted||August 25, 2021|
Location: HQ Carmel, IN | Mostly Remote- hybrid preferred
Duration: 1 Year Contract (to start)
Industry: Energy/ Electrical Engineering
Compensation: Negotiable based on experience + health insurance
Reporting to: Sr. Manager of Software Development
This position will perform all aspects of project and program management for infrastructure and software development projects and/or Scrum Master role on Agile based projects. The position will also act in a supportive manner to maintain and continuously improve the Business and Digital Transformation division.
Required Training & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree is required
- Approximately 8 years of relevant (IT, Energy, Engineering) Project Management experience, and 3 years of Program Management experience preferred
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) experience required, certification preferred bonus
- Experience with Project Management Office (PMO) preferred
- PMP Certification preferred
- One or more of the following: Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP), and/ or Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Certifications. Experience preferred over certifications.
Technical Knowledge, Skills, and Capabilities
- Strong and effective communication skills; ability to TEACH and facilitate large groups
- Know the difference between Scrum and Agile (such as Agile Manifesto, AM 12 Principles, Scrum Guide)
- Knowledge on Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) and ideally be able to facilitate
- Multiple SDLC Methodologies
- Possess functional knowledge of maturity frameworks and practices and can apply them
- Data Center/ Infrastructure familiarity
- Possess foundational understanding of IT concepts and principles
- Possesses experience leading large/ complex IT programs and projects
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Understanding NERC, FERC compliance requirements
- Proficient with SDLC tools like Jira, Confluence, and basic project management tools like MS Project and Visio
- Demonstrates ability and knowledge of thoughtful leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
Essential Capabilities and Responsibilities
- Ensures team processes are documented, visible, and followed.
- Collaborates with the development team to create high-value products (such as capturing metrics and making releases visible).
- Removes impediments to the development team's progress.
- Reviews the burndown chart at each standup with the team.
- Ensures the Scrum ceremonies are being held properly even if they are not the faciliatory (facilitate, as needed).
- Ensures there are two sprints of stories pointed in the product/sprint backlog.
- Ensures the team is adhering to the sprint backlog/board process.
- Ensures there is always a sprint goal.
- Ensures stories are ready for refinement based on the definition of ready for refinement.
- Uses t-shirt size, story point, velocity, and iterations to forecast, related to product planning in an empirical environment.
- Ensures the Product Owner has the backlog prioritized.
- Participates as an active member in the organization's Scrum adoption community.
- Coaches others outside of the team on Scrum, related to enact Scrum and empirical product development.
- Participates in Scrum Master communities of practices, Scrum of Scrum, Agile Guild, CoP, etc...
- Oversee and ensure appropriate operational, strategic and communication support is provided to projects.
In addition to the above, the Scrum Master must exhibit and/ or excel in the following:
- Coaches Scrum Framework, Agile Methodology and Self-Organization to the team (with a focus on areas for process improvements based on previous experience).
- Collaborates with the development team to create high-value products (such as developing metrics and sharing their meaning/purpose).
- Ensures impediments do not reoccur.
- Analyzes the burndown chart and makes suggestions to the team on how to correct the burndown.
- Obtains team buy-in to the Scrum ceremonies.
- Coaches the Product Owner on tools and techniques to develop the product/sprint backlog.
- Knowledgeable in other Agile frameworks and can facilitate them.
- Ensures there is a road map and epics.
- Coaches the Product Owner on techniques for effective product backlog management.
- Knowledgeable in story mapping and example mapping techniques (facilitate, as needed).
- Coaches the Product Owner on techniques to ensure the stories are able to meet the team's definition of ready for refinement.
- Collaborates with the Product Owner in generating forecasts using the team's story points.
- Tracks progress using the proper burndown.
- Understands how to provide a value metric at the appropriate level and coach the Product Owner on how to use that metric to prioritize the backlog.
- Makes appropriate relationships with the business to understand the value and road map plans (such as sharing awareness of the 5-year business plans).
- Leads topics in the organization's Scrum adoption community (such as Agile guild).
- Creates relationships with business management to coach them and their employees on Scrum, related to empirical product development.
- Influences change that increases the productivity of the Scrum team (such as working with organizations outside of Application Development to ensure smooth coloration and hand offs for work).
- Leads initiatives within the Scrum Master communities of practice.